Time to take on the day! You rush to your trusty vehicle and crank the ignition, only to be answered with the dreaded “click.” Your car’s battery is dead and you need to revive it: FAST. Luckily, you’ve got this blog post by your side! Read on to learn how to safely, and quickly, jumpstart a battery and get back on your way.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
What you’ll need:
- Rust-free jumper cables that are not frayed or damaged.
- Car with a working battery that is the same voltage as the car being jumped. (Most automotive batteries measure 12.6 volts or above. If you drive a unique vehicle though, like an RV or a heavy-duty truck, consult your owner's manual before giving or getting a jump. You or the other vehicle could end up with charging problems and a shortened battery life if your batteries have different voltages.)
- Rubber gloves and safety goggles are recommended.
- Rag, paper towel, or wire brush to clean battery terminals.
Safety tips to keep in mind:
- DON'T attempt a jump if the battery appears to be broken, leaking, or cracked.
- DON'T let the cables touch at any point; this could lead to sparking.
- DON'T smoke near your vehicle.
- DON'T lean on the battery of either car.
- DON'T jumpstart a battery if there’s a chance its fluids are frozen. This could lead to an explosion.
7 STEPS FOR JUMPING A CAR BATTERY
We just mentioned a lot of "don'ts," but there's one big "do" that we can't forget. Before you attempt a jumpstart, DO read the vehicle's manual to make sure you’re doing what's best for your specific make and model. Some cars don’t allow jumpstarting at all and doing so may void a warranty!
After you jump your car's battery, visit your nearest Tires Plus location for a free battery check! Our technicians can help you understand why your battery may have died in the first place and when it could do so again. And if you know it's been quite a few years since you had your battery replaced, try our battery selector to find a new car battery, get a quote, and set up an installation appointment—all in one place. PLUS (because we're Tires PLUS, right?) we offer special internet-only pricing for car batteries, so you're sure to get a great price!